Spring has just arrived and even though it might not feel like it weather wise, it still marks the beginning of a fresh new season, warmer days, blooming flowers and just an overall feel good vibe. Spring is a time of purification, healing and rejuvenation. When we declutter, a weight is lifted off our shoulders, we think more clearly, and we begin to tune in to our needs.
There are many areas of your life that can use a spring cleaning, but we will focus on where the magic happens, the kitchen. The kitchen is your blank canvas, it’s a place in the home where you are the star of the show and a place where you can experiment with flavours. Cooking is a time where you decide how you want to fuel your body and what recipes to try, all while having fun along the way. To ensure you have quality ingredients at hand, let’s go over 5 areas of your kitchen and remove any foods that are no longer serving you.
- Remove all expired packaged foods and throw away any high sugar, packaged processed foods. They are not doing any good for anyone, maybe the industry raking up the dough, but health wise - zilch.
- To avoid any flies or moths, ensure that every bag is tightly sealed. You may even want to consider putting flours, dried pasta and rice in individual jars.
- Do you have little bags of spices all over the place? Do you find it hard to differentiate all the labels at a single glance? Got duplicates? Over time, spices will lose their potency and flavour. As a general rule, whole spices will stay fresh for about 4 years, ground spices for about 3 to 4 years and dried leafy herbs for 1 to 3 years.
- Remove expired spices and place in compost bin
- Transfer spices to spice containers, label them accordingly and have them displayed on the counter. You’ll be much more inclined to experiment with different spices and you’ll know what you have to work with.
- Go through every item in your fridge and toss all expired products.
- Organize your fridge to clearly display what you have
- Frozen foods will technically keep forever, however they do not actually stay tasty forever. Go through your frozen foods and make note of what needs to be defrosted and eaten soon.
- Do you struggle to find the missing lid to several Tupperware containers? The struggle is real. Go through all your Tupperware container, match them up with the appropriate lid and recycle the odd pairs. No one got time to shuffle through Tupperware only to be left agitated and defeated.
So there you go, 5 areas of your kitchen that need a spring clean so you can experiment with new recipes and fuel your body right.