21-Day Challenge to Cultivating a Healthy Relationship With Food
"I wish I was as disciplined as you", "you're so healthy, I can't eat like that". I hear these words uttered way to many times, and it's frustrating. Just because I'm a nutritionist doesn't mean I don't have my own food struggles. In fact during my studies I've noticed my evolution and made a conscious effort to fuel myself, not deprive or punish myself for eating a certain way. My journey is my own but I know I'm not the only one struggling. Which is why I kicked off a 21-day challenge around building a healthy relationship with food.
I’m here to shine light on the negative impact of negative self-talk and simple tactics you can implement to building a healthy relationship with yourself and with food.
One strategy I found that works for me is affirmations. Affirmations are sentences aimed to affect the conscious and subconscious mind. They aim to motivate, keep you focused, and change the way you think and behave. However, you can’t simply think fake thoughts and hope they will come true. You have to realize that any challenge is a work in progress and there’s no such thing as perfection. You need to acknowledge where you’re at and think of positive and believable affirmations that will guide you to where you want to be.
For example, if it’s hard to believe that “My body is healthy and strong”, you can reframe it to “I am frustrated by my eating habits, but I am learning how to treat my body with respect. I am learning to do better.”
Below I've highlighted 21 affirmations that you’re welcome to use or modify to fit your personal experiences and goals. I encourage you to repeat this sentence throughout the day and make note of how it makes you feel. And at the end of the day, write down one thing you did that day to move yourself towards a better relationship with yourself and with food. This could be as simple as “I ate a nutritious breakfast”.
- Hello, kitchen, you are my nourishment center. I appreciate you!
- I can easily make a nutritious, delicious meal.
- I am worth the time and money I invest in my health.
- I am learning new things that heal my body one step at a time.
- I am willing to take this time to nurture myself.
- I listen for when I am satisfied and full.
- My taste buds are changing every day - I no longer crave foods that don’t nourish me.
- I am willing to slow down and take this time to nourish myself.
- I radiate confidence, beauty & grace.
- I love & respect my body.
- I choose health & wellness over restrictive diets & unpleasant workouts.
- I feel great when I take care of myself.
- Every day I am become stronger and healthier.
- My body deserves love.
- It’s okay to love myself now as I continue to evolve.
- All that I need is within me.
- Every day is a new day filled with joy & health.
- I enjoy the foods that are best for my body.
- I am surrounded by people who encourage me to be healthy.
- I look forward to a healthy old age because I take loving care of my body now.
- End of "Healthy Relationship with Food" Campaign - I am grateful for my healthy body.