French Toast With Toasted Hemp Seeds Recipe
You might have heard of hemp seeds being the next superfood or seen recipes on Instagram including the little raw shelled hemp seeds in smoothies, baked goods or sprinkled on top of salads and dips. If you haven't heard of them or tried them yet, here are a few facts about the little seed (excerpt taken from Manitoba Harvest):
- Great tasting - Hemp Hearts have a slightly nutty taste, similar to a sunflower seed or pine nut.
- Easy to use - Simply sprinkle Hemp Hearts on salad, cereal & yogurt, add to smoothies and recipes, or eat them straight from the package!
- Nutritious - per 30 gram serving, Hemp Hearts contain 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of Omegas.
- Hemp Hearts have more protein and omegas and less carbs than the same serving of chia or flax.
When I first tried hemp hearts, I liked the nutty taste, but because I would put that sh*t on everything to get my protein, I quickly couldn't tolerate the taste anymore. I had a big bag of it and didn't know what to do with it until one day, my sister experimented and toasted them like she does almonds and pumpkin seeds. It changed the taste of it completely!
That's when we got the idea to develop the French Toast with Toasted Hemp Seeds Recipe.
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts (I use Manitoba Harvest)
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance spread (you can use coconut or grape seed oil)
- Lightly toast hemp seeds until golden on low heat.
- Heat Earth Balance in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk together eggs, olive oil and salt in large shallow dish.
- Soak bread in mixture until well coated.
- Place bread in skillet and sprinkle with hemp hearts.
- Flip bread when the bottom turns golden. Repeat with the rest of the slices.
- Remove from heat when both sides are golden.