While scrolling through Instagram, I saw a photo of a sandwich with coconut bacon. Yes you read right, coconut bacon. I was so intrigued and wondered what it tastes like, so I made it myself. The recipe is simple and only takes 20 minutes including prep time and all ingredients can be purchased at your local health food store.
Health Benefits of Coconut
- Reduces hunger cravings
- A high source of fiber
- A low glycemic food (does not significantly raise blood glucose levels)
- Source of iron
- The saturated fats in coconut are healthy fats
- Easily digested
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp gluten free tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Whisk together maple syrup, tamari sauce, liquid smoke and water in a bowl.
- Toss in the coconut and stir until all of the liquid has been absorbed into the coconut.
- Spread an even layer of coconut on a baking sheet. Cook the coconut for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the coconut is dark in color.
- Sprinkle coconut bacon on salad or add to your sandwich. Bon appétit!