Yesterday was my brother's birthday and instead of finding a bakery and ordering a last minute gluten and dairy-free cake, I grabbed my YumUniverse cookbook, flipped to the dessert section and made a cake from scratch in an hour. In her cookbook, Heather Crosby has a beautiful photo of her Chocolate & Salted Caramel Layer Cake with Chocolate Frosting. There was no way I could make a layer cake because it required me to chill the cake for 6 hours and I only had 1 hour. Instead of a layer cake, I skipped the layers and made my own chocolate sauce.
When you change your diet and start buying gluten-free, plant-based and whole-foods, the meals and treats you can make are endless. I had all of the ingredients except for Sucanat which I substituted with coconut sugar, which surprisingly worked and still tasted delicious.
Chocolate Coconut Cake (Original recipe from YumUniverse but was slightly altered)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups red apple, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 oat flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups coconut sugar or Sucanat
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate
- 2-3 pitted dates
- 1/4 almond milk
- coconut flakes
- Preheat over to 325ºF. Place parchment paper at the bottom of cake pan.
- Place all wet ingredients in the blender and set aside for 5 minutes so chia seeds plumpen.
- In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.
- Once the chia has soaked long enough, blend together wet ingredients.
- Fold together wet and dry until mixed. Transfer batter to pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Insert toothpick into the centre of the cake; if it comes out clean, remove from oven; if not, bake longer until it does.
- Blend almond milk and dates.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler heated to medium-high.
- Remove chocolate from heat and add blended almond milk and dates. Mix until smooth.
- Top cake with chocolate sauce and sprinkle coconut flakes.
- Light candles and make a wish!